Firehawk Aerospace, a propulsion-focused aerospace and defense company based in the Dallas, TX area, is undergoing expansion and is seeking an experienced Engineering Analyst.
- Provide technical and analytical support for propulsion products from preliminary design phase through detailed design, testing & validation, production, and operations.
- Determine and perform required structural analyses of complex aerospace components including static, dynamic, thermal (steady state & transient), fatigue/fracture, and tolerance throughout engine design lifecycle.
- Validate design model predictions using a hands-on approach and informed collaborative work across the engineering department. Aid teams in meeting technical, mass, performance, and cost targets.
- Provide documentation of analysis results and recommendations in the form of formal reports and presentations for management and customers.
- Assist in analyzing testing data to validate/improve system models for thermal and dynamic performance and behavior.
- Provide manufacturing and assembly input to design team to aid in work order and specification development.
- Continuously pursue ways to develop, improve, and validate analytical methods and processes.
- Strive to be a dynamic team player that can work effectively across teams to solve problems, earn trust, and maintain positive and professional relationships.
- Self-motivate while displaying strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Display a strong work ethic and ability to thrive in a fast-paced R&D environment.
- Travel up to 10% of the time.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering or closely related field [ABET accredited institution strongly preferred]
- 4+ years of professional experience in computer-aided analysis including structural and thermal analysis
- Experience and proficiency using commercially available software such as ANSYS (preferred), Nastran, Abaqus, or similar software
- Experience with CAD software such as Creo (preferred), SolidWorks, CATIA, NX or similar software
- Experience with setup, execution, and post-processing using commercially available FEA programs (geometry, defeaturing, mesh generation, and model selection)
- Strong background in statics, mechanics of materials, heat transfer, durability, fracture mechanics, and dynamics
- Ability to perform hand-calculated analysis to validate and improve confidence in higher fidelity models
- General system-level knowledge of aerospace propulsion and testing hardware
- General understanding of manufacturing processes (welding, machining, heat treating)
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering or closely related field
- 6+ years of FEA experience related to aerospace component and system qualification
- 2+ years of professional experience using ANSYS structural
- Familiarity with fluids, boundary interactions, CFD
- Familiarity with Windchill (preferred) or Teamcenter
- Ability to work independently to debug simulations and programs
- Experience in Python, Unix, Matlab, FORTRAN, C++ or similar programming languages
- Experience with developing hybrid/solid/liquid propulsion systems
- Experience with nozzle optimization through material selection and design
- Experience with combustion phenomena
- Experience in dynamic/vibration analysis